Levi M. Spaulding
|A place for discovery...The History Center Research Library serves casual readers and scholars, school children, local historians, genealogists, and professional researchers. Staff and volunteer Research Assistants facilitate research on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or by special appointment. Along with providing access to primary source materials, The History Center is equipped to make professional quality photographic copy prints and scans of photographs from the collections. Photocopying services are also provided for a fee.
Research Collections | Service Fees | Room Fees | Research by Mail | Groups
Attention: New Library Security Policy
Archives & Library
- 4,000 bound books
- 900 linear feet of manuscripts and archives
- 2000 family genealogy files
- 250 bound ledgers
- 440 scrapbooks
- 1,100 maps
over 100,000 images - reprints available!
- General photo collection
- Family albums
- Photograph albums
- Local professional photographers' collections
- Identified Individuals photograph collection
- Stereoviews & cartes-de-visite
- 35mm slide collection
- Family genealogy files - over 1800 Tompkins County families
- Individual family genealogies
- Obituary listings
- Cemetery listings
- Death and marriage notices
- Census records
- Ithaca city directories
- Local history books
Built Environment Resources
- 1866 Atlas of Tompkins County
- Sanborn Insurance maps of Ithaca
- 1836 and 1889 city of Ithaca maps
- Blue Forms, National Register Applications, structure notes, and theses
- Bird's Eye View of Ithaca
- Military Tract Map and Balloting Book (1825)
- Many more
Tompkins County Historic Maps Online
Free to members of The
History Center and individuals residing in Tompkins County. $7.00/day
for all other researchers.
.28/copy (8.5 x 11)
.37/copy (8.5 x 14)
.55/copy (11 x 17)
.55/copy (8.5 x 11)
.73/copy (8.5 x 14)
.92/copy (11 x 17)
We provide darkroom and scanning services for photographs - ask about use fee policies.
Research by Mail
If you are unable to visit our Reference Room in person, we are happy to do research for you. Please click here for more information.
All prices are subject to 8% NYS sales tax.